A7 - Port Road
South-Eastern Terminus: Port Road & Fitzroy Tce & Adam St, Hindmarsh
North-Western Terminus: St Vincent St & Commercial Rd, Port Adelaide
Route names: Port Road, Commercial Road
Route A7 is Port Road and Commercial Road, connecting the City of Adelaide and Port Adelaide. Port Road is entirely wide dual carriageway, constructed in 1926-28 as South Australia's first divided road to cater for the heavy traffic between the City and the Port. Port Road was also the first road constructed in South Australia, way back in 1837.
The Metropolitan Adelaide Transportation Study of 1968 proposed a "Port Freeway" running down the middle of Port Road between Fitzroy Terrace and Old Port Road. Connections to the North-South Freeway and City Freeway would have been provided in an interchange that would have levelled most of the (tiny) suburb of Hindmarsh. The plan was scrapped officially in June 1983.
1837 - Port Road constructed as South Australia's first improved road
1928 - Dual carriageways completed
1998 - Route introduced
A7 signage on South Road southbound approaching Port Road at Hindmarsh. Jan 2005.
Looking south on Commercial ROad towards the beginning of Port Road at Grand Junction Rd. Note the missing A7 shield and the old NH1 and NH20 shields. Thanks to Darrin Smith for this photo, taken Feb 2005.